Posts tagged fruit.
2 Beets (Australia beetroot)
6 leaves swiss chard – 1.5 cup (Australia silverbeet)
1” ginger root (1 tablespoon)
- Wash all produce well
- Pour over ice
Follow our 8 eating guidelines and start living a healthy lifestyle today.
1.) Eat a rainbow everyday. The properties that give each fruit or vegetable its rich color are the same elements that help protect our immune systems and keep our bodies strong. Each color family is rich in unique and important micronutrients.
Where do you get the wide variety of colors in your produce? The options are endless:
RED: tomato, watermelon, red pepper, beets, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, grapefruit, pomegranate, apple, guava, red onion, persimmon
ORANGE/YELLOW: orange, sweet potato, mango, winter squash, papaya, carrots, orange peppers, tangerine/Clementine, nectarine, peach, apricot, Asian pear, Japanese squash
GREEN: spinach, kale, swish chard, mustard or collard greens, avocado, asparagus, artichoke, bok choy, green cabbage, Chinese cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, green pepper, watercress, kiwi, apples, avocado, cilantro, basil, parsley, mint
BLUE/PURPLE: blueberries, eggplant, concord grapes, purple cabbage, blackberries, plums
WHITE: garlic, cauliflower, onions, ginger, Japanese radishes, burdock root, shiitake, maiitake mushrooms, jicama
2.) Consume as many fruits and vegetables as possible. (I bet you could guess that would be one!)Juices, soups, smoothies and salads are all easy ways to consume more nutrients and integrate more fruits and vegetables into your diet without much effort. Visit our Recipe section or purchase the Reboot with Joe recipe book for healthy ideas in the kitchen.
3.) When possible, choose local, seasonal, and organic foods. When you buy local, you are receiving the freshest possible produce, picked just hours before getting to you with typically the least amount of pesticides. You’re also helping local farmers stay in business, which supports your community, and we love that.
4.) Spend some time in the “fun” part of town. Life isn’t about depriving, it’s about LIVING. A healthy lifestyle is one that includes an occasional sweet dessert or savory snack in the “fun part pf town”. Just be sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables so that the chips and ice cream will naturally stay at an amount that won’t compromise your health goals. And don’t forget, fruits and vegetables and juices are fun, too!
5.) Eat smaller amounts more often. Eating just enough to nourish yourself without going beyond what is comfortable is at the heart of being gentle to your body. Don’t eat until you are stuffed, eat until you are satisfied. You’ll find that eating more plant-based foods will help you achieve satisfaction much easier than eating fatty processed foods, like pizza.
6.) Consider how you prepare your food so you get the most out of them (and we don’t mean the most calories, we mean the most nutrients).Obviously, deep frying is a no, no. Bake, broil, grill, roast and steam your food. Stir frying is also recommended with a small amount of coconut oil.
7.) Avoid processed “junk” foods. Stay away from fast foods, packaged foods, and high saturated fat foods. The longer you can limit them in your diet, the better you will feel, the better you will look, and the better you will live!
8.) Think about protein in a new way. The typical American plate is 50% animal protein, 25% overcooked vegetable and 25% starch like white potatoes. Recreate your plate by shifting to 50% plant foods like vegetables or some fruit, 25% lean protein and 25% whole grain.
The Plant Proteins You Should Be Eating:
- Beans & Legumes
- Nuts & Seeds
- Natural Nut Butters
- Non-GMO Soy Foods (edamame, tofu, soy milk)
The Animal Proteins You Should Be Eating:
- Organic, cage free poultry
- Grass fed lean beef (including bison, ostrich, buffalo)
- Organic, cage free eggs
- Wild caught fish
- Organic dairy products
Classic Green Drink
Celery: 2 Stalks
Parsley: 1 Handful
Spinach: 4 Leaves
Spinach: 3 Leaves
Grapefruit: 1/4 (W/O peel)
Tip Top Tonic
Ginger: 1 inch
Fab Fruit Cocktail
Cranberries: 1 cup
Grapes: 1 Bunch
Tomato Salad Drink
Tomato: 1 Large
Parsley: 1 Handful
Spinach: 2 Leaves
Bell Pepper: 1/4
Celery: 1 Stalk
Ginger: 1 inch
Parsley: 1 Handful
Pineapple: 2 Rounds
FRE$H 2 DE@TH
20 Summer Smoothie Recipes
Grapefruit Pink Smoothie
Strawberry Lemonade Frosty
Pinkie Sweet Pomegranate Smoothie
Peaches and Cream Smoothie
Fresh Orange Juice Smoothie
Peachy Hemp Protein Smoothie
Peachy Lychee Daiquiri
Calm Chamomile Smoothie
Pina Avocado Smoothie
Kiwi Basil Smoothie
Blue Acai Smoothie
Blueberry Kickstart Smoothie
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Blueberry Coconut Water Frosty
Dark and Frosty Acai Smoothie
Almond Butter Shake
Chocolate Chai Shake
Make Your Own Alkaline Vitamin Water
Find yourself needing a vitamin boost?
Click here, for complete recipe and directions of my five signature colour-free, sugar-free and bpa plastic free alkaline vitamin waters or get inspired to make your own combinations.
- Recovery - This vitamin water is ideal for recovery post-workout or after a large bout of physical activity. Blackberries and Cherries aid in replenishing oxygen in the blood while pomegranate and glutamine help to restore and repair muscle tissue damage
- C*Power - This vitamin water gives you a boost of anti-viral and anti-inflammatory vitamin C. With natural citrus fruits and camu camu powder, c*power is ideal for boosting your immunity after an illness or just keeping your body empowered. This is an excellent combination for weight loss
- Stressless - This is my favourite combination, the blend of watermelon and rosemary is divine. This vitamin water is ideal for helping you balance stress on a mental and physiological level. With the addition of B vitamins, hydrating watermelon and calming rosemary this combination is best used during times of stress or intensity
- Digest It - Excellent for aiding in digestion and stimulating the colon and digestive tract. With the combination of pineapple’s digestive enzymes, soothing, cooling mint and warming ginger, stimulating lemongrass, immunizing lychee and probiotics this water will aid in internal balance
- Detox - Purify your blood and body with this awesome vitamin water! Detox is ideal for the morning after a night out or when you are cleansing. Created with hydrating coconut water, and fresh cucumber, nutrient rich coconut meat, detoxifying milk thistle and anti-oxidant loaded raspberries and blueberries, this combination will cleanse your body from the inside out
It simple, cheap and easy way to get your vitamins in a delicious and hydrating way.